Depending on where you live you may be acquainted with the oppressive humidity that can plague us during the hottest months of the year. The high humidity tells us that there is a wealth of water vapour in the air and warm air is better at holding moisture than cool air. As the levels of humidity rise, the sweat beads on your forehead will not evaporate to give you that cool feeling of relief.

Wherever you live, humidity is more than capable of affecting the comfort levels in your home, as well as the smooth functioning of your heating and cooling systems. Controlling humidity in your home must be a priority, especially when setting your heater or air conditioner’s thermostat.

Reducing the moisture within your home is best done by your home’s air conditioning unit. Although there may be times when your A/C could come up short in this task. Even though the temperature in your home is left to your preference, sustaining the humidity within the suggested levels will help safeguard your home’s comfort and health.

You may be wondering, how does the humidity in your home can affect your health? It has been proven that mould and dust mites thrive in humid air, and create miserable conditions for allergy sufferers as well. If the humidity levels in your home fall below 60%, these nuisances will begin to die off. But on the other hand, when humidity levels drop below 40%, allergens are more inclined to become airborne. If the humidity levels in your home fall below 30%, your home will turn into the perfect environment to foster viruses and bacteria.  The ideal humidity level for your home in the summer ought to be below 60%.


To confront extreme high or low humidity levels in your home, you should consider installing special equipment. Full-home ventilation and humidification systems are the most common solutions when it comes to tackling humidity in your home.  These systems are specifically intended to provide greater comfort and reduce the risk of humidity related health issues.

When the humidity levels are high outdoors, so will it be in your home. This is because the air from outside enters your home through windows, doors, vents, cracks and other openings. General indoor activities such as showering, laundry and cooking can also increase the humidity in your home. Should you feel like your home is especially humid during the summer months you can pay attention to these signs of additional humidity.

  1. Inspect mirrors, windows and other vertical glass surfaces for condensation. Condensation on glass surfaces shows a build-up of moisture and water vapour in your home’s air.
  2. Look out for wet stains on your walls and ceilings. This indicates an increase in water vapour or moisture in your home.
  3. Make note of whether your bathrooms, laundry room or kitchen have mould and mildew. Keep a nose out for musty or wet mildew smells in these areas.
  4. Keep a close eye on family members who have allergies and make note of whether their reactions increased, even with the windows and house closed. Even your family members who are without allergies can experience increased sneezing when the home is too humid.


If you notice any of these signs and are still not convinced, you can have an expert come to your home and measure the humidity levels with a Hygrometer.

To improve the humidity levels in your home, use fans to keep the air moving.  This will help keep the air cooler and maintain a better comfort level your home. Ventilation is also a critical factor in reducing the humidity levels in your home. Remember to make use of your exhaust fans were ever available, such as in your bathroom when showering, as well as in the kitchen when cooking. An additional simple remedy to help reduce humidity is to ensure that your laundry room’s dryer is vented outside of your home. You may also want to look at the number of plants you have inside your home. Although there are numerous benefits to having indoor plants, too many of them can cause a build-up of extra moisture in your home’s air.

If you are looking for an experienced and affordable heating and cooling contractor in Ottawa to handle all of your Ottawa HVAC needs, then give us a call to get professional help with your central air conditioner, furnace or fireplace for a complete home comfort experience. We have decades of experience in home heating and cooling and Capital City Heating & Cooling provides all HVAC services including heating & air conditioning installation, repair, service & maintenance in Ottawa and surrounding areas.