If your home has heating or cooling systems, you would also have ducts which help to distribute the air all around the home. If your ducts are not in good condition, if they haven’t been properly connected, or if they have leaks or holes, then you may be losing about 20 to 30 percent of the air that is pumped through your home. You would have a higher bill and more trouble keeping your home comfortable warm or cool.
You can figure out if you have ducts that are poorly performing, if you have the following characteristics:
- High utility bills in the summer and winter.
- Rooms that are very hard to heat and cool.
- Certain stuffy rooms which you can’t seem to make comfortable.
- Ducts in the crawlspace, attic or in the garage.
- Kinked or tangled ducts in your system.
Here are some of the easy things you can do to help improve the performance of your ducts and thereby increase your energy efficiency.
- You can use metal tape or mastic sealing to help you insulate the ducts that you have access to, especially if they’re the ducts in areas like garages, crawlspaces and unfinished basements.
- Remember never to use duct tape to do the sealing because it won’t last as long as you’d like.
- Now, you have to ensure that you properly seal your vents and registers in the area where they connect with the walls, ceiling and floor.
If you are looking for an experienced and affordable heating and cooling contractor in Ottawa to handle all of your Ottawa HVAC needs, then give us a call to get professional help with your central air conditioner, furnace or fireplace for a complete home comfort experience. We have decades of experience in home heating and cooling and Capital City Heating & Cooling provides all HVAC services including heating & air conditioning installation, repair, service & maintenance in Ottawa and surrounding areas.